Everything you need to know to plan your adventurous elopement in beautiful Asheville, North Carolina
Elopements are quickly becoming a popular way to get married and a lot of couples are choosing to elope in beautiful Asheville, North Carolina.
Why you should elope in Asheville:
This beautiful city located in the Southern Appalachian Mountains and is a meca for lovers of the great outdoors, fine cuisine, craft beer, great music & a thriving arts scene. There is a little bit of something for everyone so it’s no wonder that couples are choosing Asheville as the place to say I do. This post is filled with tons of information to help you plan your Asheville Elopement.
13 Tips for Your Asheville Elopement:
- You + Your Partner (have close family + friends join to if you’d like!)
- Set a budget for your Asheville Elopement
- Elope on a weekday if possible to avoid crowds
- Apply for marriage license
- Have an inclement weather plan in place, weather in the mountains of Asheville change quickly
- Book an elopement photographer you connect with who knows the area. Send me an inquiry to set up a free consultation!
- Think about the general setting you’d like to say your vows; City/Urban, Waterfall, Woods or Mountain Top. See my list of top Asheville Elopement ceremony locations below.
- Make sure you secure the proper wedding permit for your ceremony location! You can find some basic info below. Feeling overwhelmed with permitting laws? Reach out, this is a service I offer all my couples.
- Don’t forget an officiant. This can be a friend or family member who is ordained or there are a few officiants I can recommend who specialize in outdoor/adventurous Asheville elopements.
- Plan on saying your vows close to sunrise or sunset for the best light!
- Think about how you want to spend your day; make it a full day adventure! Yu can see sample activities and timelines below!
- Consider hiring a private chef to come to your Air BnB or making reservations a nice restaurant in Asheville for your wedding dinner.
- Spend your elopement day adventuring together, creating amazing memories and celebrating your love for each other!
You might be wondering, why elope: Click here to read some reasons why my couples are ditching a big wedding and eloping instead! In short; making the decision to elope allows you to have a wedding day that focuses solely on the one thing that matters; the two of you and your love for one another. The intimacy of an elopement ceremony is unmatched. Just think about saying your vows, full of emotion on top of a mountain or beside a waterfall with no one to hear you except (if you choose) the few people who mean the very most to you!
Real Asheville Elopement Inspiration
A peek some recent elopement adventures in the Appalachian & Blue Ridge Mountains.
You might be saying “Okay, an elopement sounds great and Asheville is amazing but whats next, how do I actually do this?!”… First of all, answering this burning question for couples is what I do as your Asheville elopement photographer and guide. So yes, I had fun writing this post and I hope it helps you plan your dream elopement in Asheville but if you want more personalized assistance, I’m also here to help!
Planning your Asheville elopement doesn’t have to be overwhelming! I’m here to do the heavy lifting! Set up a free consult and let’s start crafting your experience:
Planning to elope beyond Asheville and don’t know where to start?
See my elopement guide which talks you through how to get started planning your adventure elopement: How to Elope
Asheville is quickly becoming one of the top elopement destinations in the United States. With amazing restaurants, craft breweries, hiking, climbing, waterfall chasing and endless outdoor opportunities your Asheville elopement can be a one of a kind, adventure fill experience!
Asheville Elopement Guide
Let’s dive right in with all the good information to help you plan your intimate celebration in the Blue Ridge Mountains!
Getting Your Marriage License in Asheville
North Carolina marriage laws are similar to those in most states. Any two people over the age of 18 may apply for a marriage license. The marriage license is valid for 60 days and there is no hold/waiting period so as soon as you have it in hand you can get married!
Buncombe County Register of Deeds Hours: 9-5 (You must arrive by 4:30)
You must bring a valid drivers license & social security card.
Getting your marriage license is simple in Buncombe County; Click here to view the Buncombe County Register of Deeds webpage & apply online
When is The Best Time of Year to Elope in Asheville
Spring or Fall for the most temperate climate!
Where to Elope in Asheville?
How to Choose The Perfect Location For You Asheville Elopement Ceremony
The mountains of Western North Carolina are vast and there are endless options for your adventurous Asheville elopement. From the rolling Blue Ridge Mountains to the higher more rugged Black Mountains to an endless number of waterfalls and wooded forests to explore; Asheville has options for any kind of elopement vision. I’ve listed some favorite locations below divided up into different general areas.
When choosing the place for your elopement ceremony in it’s important to keep in mind a few things:
- Accessibility: How far do you or you & your guests want to walk?
- Privacy: Does have a private location to say your vows matter to you?
- Time of year & road closures
- How far are you willing to drive from you lodging?
Best Asheville Elopement Locations
Here are some of the most popular locations to elope in or near Asheville NC. Most of these options are about an hour from downtown Asheville with fairly easy access so they tend to be busier which is why having a middle of the week elopement is always recommended!!
- Black Balsam Knob
- Craggy Gardens
- Max Patch
- Looking Glass Falls
- Bear Wallow Mountain
- Botanical Gardens at Asheville
- Roan Highlands
Best Boone Elopement Locations
The Boone, Blowing Rock, Linville area… Often referred to as the North Carolina High Country, is one of my favorite places to explore! From the rugged Linville Gorge Wilderness to Boone’s bustling downtown; there is something for everyone! Below I’ve included some of my favorite locations to elope near Boone North Carolina.
- Grandfather Mountain
- Hawksbill Mountain
- Rough Ridge
- Chestoa Overlook
- Wisemans View
- Linville Falls
- Julian Price Lake
Great Smoky Mountain Elopement Locations
West of Asheville lies the Great Smoky Mountains and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park with some adorable mountain towns! Included below are just a few of the most beautiful places to elope in the Great Smokies!
Looking for a location to elope near Asheville (or anywhere else in the mountains of western nc) that is a little more off the beaten path? I have secluded locations that I choose to keep off social media and favorites lists! Reach out if you want to chat more about your adventurous Asheville elopement!
I WANT TO HELP YOU PLAN YOUR DREAM ELOPEMENT
Permit Information & Regulations for Your Asheville Elopement
Blue Ridge Parkway Elopement
Permit Cost: $100 – Click Here to Apply for a Permit
Best time of year to elope on the Blue Ridge Parkway: April-September
Things to keep in mind for your Blue Ridge Parkway wedding:
Live florals are not allowed, instead, consider a silk bouquet as a beautiful alternative.
Plan on a weekday or non holiday weekend for less crowds. You cannot get a permit for federal holidays & federal holiday weekends, as well as for the entire month of October.
Regardless of where you are planning to say your vows if you’re looking to get legally married during your Asheville elopement you have to make sure to get your marriage license:
Asheville Elopement Venues
Booking a beautiful location for your elopement ceremony is a great option especially if you have guests joining you that may not be quite as mobile. remember if you’re craving an adventurous mountain experience you could always say private vows at sunrise in the mountains before meeting up later for a ceremony with friends/family. I offer full day elopement packages because I truly believe in creating a memory filled experience for my eloping couples.
- The Swag
- The Mast Farm Inn
- Mountain Magnolia Inn
- Canaan Valley
- Vineyards at Betty’s Creek
- Brown Mountain Beach Resort
Asheville Elopement Vendors
It’s important to choose vendors who will listen to your vision and are excited to help you craft your dream day! Here are some incredible local to Asheville vendors who specialize in elopements & small weddings.
Officiants For Your Elopement
- Julia with Heartfelt Elopements
Asheville Elopement Florists
Keep in mind: If you’re getting married on the Blue Ridge Parkway or any National Forest Land they don’t allow live florals because of the concern over introducing invasive species onto wild land. Consider a silk bouquet instead!
Hair and Makeup Artists for your Asheville Elopement
Asheville Elopement Videographers
Musicians for your Asheville Elopement
Where to Stay for Your Asheville Elopement
From a cabin in the mountains to a treehouse in the forest to a luxurious boutique hotel; Asheville has so many amazing places to consider for your stay during your elopement celebration in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Some of my favorite places to stay in Asheville are below:
Bed + Breakfasts/Inns:
For something a little different:
- Chateau Dumont
- Luxurious Treehouse near Asheville
- Asheville Glamping
- Lake Jocassee Tree Houses
- The Henhouse at Canaan Valley
Where to Eat During Your Asheville Elopement
Asheville’s known for some pretty incredible food but here are my favorites for a post wedding dinner:
Or consider having a private chef come to your airbnb. Contact me for recommendations!
While you’re exploring downtown don’t forget to check out one of Asheville’s amazing craft breweries like Wicked Weed Funkatorium and after dinner hit up the popular French Broad Chocolate Lounge
for a wonderful dessert!
ACTIVITIES FOR YOUR ASHEVILLE ELOPEMENT
Sure you could just have a normal day but chances are since you’ve decided to elope you might be craving a day a little out of the ordinary. Consider including one of these fun and adventurous activities into your elopement day timeline! A sunrise hot air balloon ride, what better way to start your wedding day?!
- Zipline on one of america’s fastest ziplines! The Gorge Ziplines
- Whitewater Raft on one of the many rivers near Asheville
- Visit the waterfalls and hike in Dupont State Forest
- Visit Ashevilles newest indoor climbing gym and mountain bike park for a good time! Riveter NC and then visit Sierra Nevada Brewing company which is right next door!
- Ride in a hot air ballon over the Blue Ridge Mountains. Asheville Hot Air Balloons.
Asheville Elopement Guide: Sample Elopement Timelines and Tips
I offer custom elopement day timelines + activity ideas for all my couples! To get you started though I want to share a couple sample timelines for your Asheville elopement and some basic tips to make the most of your day!
Quick Tips to help you have the best day ever:
- For the best light (which means the best photos!) have your elopement ceremony within a couple hours of sunrise or sunset. First figure out which time of day you’d prefer to say your vows and then start planning the rest of your day around that!
- Choose sunrise for less people
- Choose to elope during the week for less people, especially during Asheville’s leaf peeping season when the Blue Ridge Parkway is packed with tourists!
- Make your elopement experience a full day adventure
- Choose Asheville vendors you connect with!
- If you’re including friends and family think about taking a few hours just the two of you two adventure together!
- Best time of year to Elope in Asheville is between March and October with Spring and Fall being the ideal temperature wise as it can get hot during the summer months.
Sample Timelines for your Asheville Elopement
Full Day Asheville Adventure Elopement
- 9:00am: Adventure activity – Explore local waterfalls for some swimming fun, go on a mountain hike, Hire a climbing guide and go rock climbing. Take a hot air balloon ride over the Blue Ridge mountains
- 12:00: Lunch at one of Asheville’s awesome restaurants or breweries!
- 1:30pm: spend time getting ready at your adorable tree house air bnb – hair, makeup, getting fancied up
- 2:15pm: Have a romantic first look at your air bnb!
- 2:30pm: Hop in cars and jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway; destination an epic hike to an off the beat path location where you’ll say your vows! Stop and get out along the way for epic portraits
- 4:30pm: Arrive at trailhead and begin the hike!
- 5:30pm: Find the perfect ceremony spot, you’ll know when you see it! Maybe it’s the end of the trail or maybe it’s a beautiful place along the way!
- 6:30pm: Ceremony and vows, enjoy a first dance on a mountain top or by a roaring waterfall.
- 7:00pm: Have a picnic + enjoy your favorite beverage while cuddled up somewhere in the Blue Ridge Mountains watching the sun go down!
- 7:30pm: hike down trail and head back to Airbnb where a private chef is preparing dinner for you!
- 9:00pm: arrive back at Airbnb and enjoy dinner + bonfire with s’mores
- 10:00pm: photo coverage wraps up!
Half Day Asheville Elopement
- 2:30pm: spend time getting fancied up
- 3:15pm: have a romantic first look
- 3:30pm: hop on the Blue Ridge Parkway for your elopement adventure and head to ceremony location, stop and get out along the way for epic portraits
- 5:30pm: arrive at ceremony location, explore and adventure around while we wait for any guests you’ve invited to join!
- 6:00pm: ceremony and vows! Maybe you enjoy a first dance on top of the mountain?!
- 6:30pm: Take a few minutes to enjoy your favorite beverage while cuddled up somewhere in the Blue Ridge Mountains
- 7:00pm: Sunset and final portraits
- 7:30: Elopement Photographer Coverage Wraps up!
ASHEVILLE ELOPEMENT PHOTOGRAPHY
Asheville Elopement Package Pricing:
- Four hour to Full-day coverage available.
- Custom location assistance and timeline help!
- Online gallery w/beautifully edited images + digital downloads of your high resolution images with personal printing rights.
Want to know more about having me photograph your elopement? Head over to my elopement page to find out more about booking me for your Asheville or destination elopement!
If you have an elopement idea a little out of the ordinary and you want to chat about it let me know.
If you’re looking for more incredible location ideas, send me a note.
FAQ’S | Asheville Elopement Photographer
Do you offer elopement packages? My most popular elopement package is the full day package, this allows for the most freedom to plan/have documented a fun, relaxing and amazing elopement experience! I do offer the option to add an album or an engagement session to your elopement package
How many images will I receive? There are many variables, but I usually deliver about 75 images per hour of coverage.
Can I print the images? Yes! You will be able to download your high resolution images and receive a print release so you can make your own prints!
Do you edit all of the images? Yes!
How do you deliver the images? I send a beautiful online gallery where you can view, share and download all your images.
Do you travel for weddings? I travel for a large number of elopements and weddings each year, in fact when you book my full day elopement package my travel fees are included for all destinations within the United States.
How do we book you as our elopement photographer? Drop me a note to get started but it’s super easy. My contract is online and can be filled out securely in about 5 minutes, Contract + A retainer of $1000 books me for your day!
I would be honored to document your elopement here in Asheville or beyond! Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or to get started planning your dream elopement!
LETS DO THIS!